Saturday, November 16, 2019

Loss, Hope, & Glowing Embers


Image result for free image glowing embers



I had the honor once again of leading worship for a memorial service today, this time for a beautiful lady who lived to be 100 years old. I was thinking during the service how one of the common denominators of memorial services for those who profess Christ is hope.  We do not mourn as if death is the end.  Even in the midst of our grief, there is an irrepressible hope that invades our loss.  We know we will see our loved ones again....it's just a matter of time.  Resurrection is a promise that isn't relegated to a church celebration in spring.  Resurrection is a Man who makes all things new and is Himself the doorway into abundant life, both here on this earth and in the age to come.  

Do I mourn?  Oh, yes.  When grief hits me in waves and pours over me with all its weight and fury, and feels like it will crush me, I’ve learned to not quench it, but let is wash over me.  And when the grief subsides, I cannot help but notice hope, like the most tenacious, glowing ember, warm and softly shining, leading me home.  I absolutely cannot escape it.  And every time I feel the loss of my loved one, their life is now framed with this inescapable, glorious hope.  

What a gift.

 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.  According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 
Therefore encourage one another with these words.

1 Thessalonians 4:13 - 18

1 comment:

  1. And that hope is a testimony that continues on long after a memorial service. I can't help but think of my dad every time I sing the song, Great Is Thy Faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete

Faith Comes by Hearing

  In May of 2020, I remember standing in my dining room, fielding calls from various Christian leaders in our city.   That evening, we were ...