Monday, March 18, 2019

Missed Busses, Tears, & A God Who Cares



Ellie had gone to swim team practice, Robert was rehearsing with his orchestra, and I was peacefully sitting on our living room sofa, working on Revive Worship stuff, when my ears picked up the jarring sound of moaning and sobbing.  I looked up and outside our living room window, searching for the cry's origin.  I spotted a lone middle schooler across the street, wandering in circles and crying.  

I quickly exited our front door, walked onto our front lawn and called over to him, "What's wrong? Do you need something?  How can I help you?”  

Through his tears, he yelled across the street, ”I missed my bus.  I missed my bus.  I don’t know what to do.”  

"Come on over here," I answered, beckoning with my hand.   

He wiped his tears and started towards me, dodging a passing car as he crossed the street.  

From what I could sort out, after he got close enough to share his story, he had stayed after school for a rehearsal of some sort and ended up missing the Metro bus.  He needed to get home but did not know how and obviously felt completely hopeless at his predicament.  

The air was getting chilly, so I brought him inside our home as I gathered my keys, jacket, and purse to take him where he needed to go.  (He said he lived at the Knight's Inn....not the nicest motel....which also broke my heart....but he asked to be taken to the bus depot downtown so he could take the bus home). 

 If you've read any of my recent blogs, you'll know this is not the first time we've given a middle schooler a ride.  However, this was the first time we've given this particular young man a ride.  Hearing his sobbing was heart-breaking.  Ugh.  Normally I work upstairs in our bedroom, where it's warmer.  I'm thankful the Lord had me down on the first level, right next to the window, so that I'd notice his cry above the steady din of traffic.

This got me thinking: Our beautiful God cared enough about a middle school boy whom He knew would miss his bus, that he'd position me near enough our front window so that I could hear his cry.  Jesus taught us in Matthew 10 that our Father in heaven cares about a sparrow who falls to the ground.  And in the very next breath He explained to His disciples how the Father has numbered the very hairs on each of our heads.  Our Father takes that depth of loving, focused interest in each of us.  Wow!  Hopefully this will encourage you and me yet again how much He truly cares about us.  And He always hears our cry.

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”  Psalm 34:18


Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.   And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”  Matthew 10:29 - 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Faith Comes by Hearing

  In May of 2020, I remember standing in my dining room, fielding calls from various Christian leaders in our city.   That evening, we were ...